May 17, 2009

Eating Organic and the OCA

I went to see a cooperative alternative medicine doctor that specializes in cancer patients. He's based out of Swedish in Seattle, last Tuesday was my visit with him. I KNEW I should have gotten an espresso before going there. Boy did he tell it to me straight. No red meat, well... once a week two times a month is OK. But only free range, chicken and turkey too, only organically grown veggies and fruits, green tea and "filtered" water. That's what I get. No coffee, no Diet Coke, no regular Lipton Ice Tea, as little sugar as possible. Fish is okay as long as it is "wild" salmon or cod, nothing else. Organic dairy products, organic eggs, good luck finding organic cheese... I'm staying with Tillamook. The package says something about no bad stuff in the cows it came from. It is VERY hard to get in 64oz of water per day, along with at least 3 8oz cups of green tea. (it's not bad, but it would be nice with a little sugar). 2-3 fruits a day, 5-7 veggies per day, 64 grams of protein, and attempt to reach 2100 calories per day to maintain my body weight. It is harder then heck to reach 2100 calories!!! I did it today though! Actually got about 2800!! It's only do to the fact that I got a vanilla flavored protein powder though. TONS of protein and TONS of calories. A perfect lunch. I am about fed up with salads. That's about all I eat. Or so it seems. Add a Boca Chicken patty, to my salad, spice it up for the day. I am still so new at the "eating healthy" thing it's hard to get used to. Recording every oz. of food I eat, making sure to write the calories and protein down. Search after search of how many calories in this, how many calories in that... found a great website to help with that though http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/ check it out. I will end this with the thought of.... I really need to get my calories up. To maintain my current (well previous) current weight I needed to eat at least 2100 calories. I have lost 9 pounds in 6 days. Not a bad thing. But not what I was trying to do. Organic Soy Chocolate Milk is good. Organic cream cheese tastes the same. OOOOOOOhhhhhh STAY AWAY FROM ORGANIC COTTAGE CHEESE. That was not a tasty experience. I have only tried two different kinds, but oh boy. Not so good.

I can say that I have felt much more energetic and healthy since starting this way of eating. Not going to use the word DIET, just sounds like a bad word to me.

BTW my title links you to the Organic Consumer Association (OCA) if you are interested in checking it out. :)

Have a good night everyone.

1 comment:

Nana TJ said...

Organic cottage cheese, fromage blanc, ricotta is very easy to make and I have made it for 30+ years.It's alot cheaper too. It is much better tasting fresh as compared to store brands. Organic Valley Milk ($500 a gal) is brand I use and is processes locally so it is real fresh. It's possible you got cheese that was made with ULTRA Pasturized milk...and it loses alot of its nutritional value due to high heat processing. Suggest you get whole milk 4%butterfat cottage cheeses and avoid the low fat since it is flavorless and folks will eat the 4% version. This is the kind Hailey eats when she is with her Nana. Hailey is learning how to make cottage cheese and riccota and panir...all are VERY simple to make if you want recipes let me know. They are really very easy to make and only a few mins to start the process and then let the culture act on it while you do something else and before long you have cheese.