September 21, 2008

Maybe it was the cheese?

It all started on Wed. regular clinic exam but I was having a terrible headache. I mentioned it to the doc's but they didn't seem to worried, said give her some Benadryl and let her rest, it's probably a migraine. I didn't have a temp at that point and my vitals were fine. We left the clinic and before we even got home something had changed. I was shaking and shivering uncontrollably, just plain FREEZING, teeth chattering the whole bit. Ron got me up stairs and into bed. "Lots of extra blankets" I asked. He gave me some Benadryl and was going to run to the store while I got some rest. Fortunately he took my temp again (mind u it had just been fine at the clinic) and I was at 103!! He called the clinic immediately and they said get her in here asap. I was wheeled up to the 5th floor triage while he parked the car. I was getting scared. I couldn't stop shivering. Next thing I know my blood pressure is dropping my temp is still going up and now at 103.4, this is after they had given me a hand full of antibiotics and fluids. By the time Ron had gotten up from parking the car the ambulance had already been called. I was heading to the UWMC fast.

After four days of waiting for blood cultures to grow.... I have a blood infection. How I got it no one can explain. I was very worried because I had just had feta cheese the night before and then found out Wed (my nutrition appt before the clinic exam) that I can NOT eat soft cheeses. I was convinced it was all my fault. Darn feta cheese. It was good tho!! The nurse ends up telling for the amount of infection I had I would have had to pull out my Hickman line and rub the cheese all over it and stick it back in! Okay... so it wasn't the cheese. But note to self must be more careful when trying new foods.

I am good now. Back at home. FINALLY. Antibiotics galore!

No comments: